Designing is an art that needs creativity. A good design should be immensely effective that caters to the needs of the user. They should be efficient enough to fulfill the purpose and requirements of the space. It should satisfy the users and make them feel good about the aesthetics of the place. The good design focuses on the usage of the products, as the products and elements that are used in designing actual define the design. So a designer needs to use the elements with greater effectiveness and consciousness.
These days the demand for design has increased. People want everything organised, be it be in the office, home, workplace, wardrobe, etc. So the demand for it has increased. Earlier designed items were considered too luxurious but nowadays it had become trending. People have become more inclined towards aesthetic pleasures. So the designing career is also becoming famous. It is a good field to invest these days. So those who have a little sense of design they can opt for doing designing courses and go for a designing career.
Design is an umbrella term that involves all the various kind of designing like fabric design, costume design, interior design, jewellery design and many more. Interior design in itself is a huge term that carries all kinds of designing that is required to design home, building, cafe, restaurants, offices, workplaces, and many other places.
A design like any other art needs time, space and creativity. Designing is not something that is forcibly learned. A person should have possessed a kind of commitment and passion for designing then only they can become a designer. For a designer, the design comes from within. Especially for being an interior designer you need to have far-sighted imagination and creativity to use.
There are various elements and principles that the designers need to follow for designing anything. Without these basic elements, no designing can take place. Below are discussed the major elements and principles of design along with some important tips for designing.
What is interior design?
Before you get to know the Elements and principle of designing (See: Principles of designing from 99 Designs) you need to know what exactly the interior design is. Interior design is a form of art that has the fusion of basic science that is required to emphasise the interior look of any place (building, home, office, etc.) to give it a sense of aesthetics and soothing to look at. This makes the area more peaceful and beautiful. A designer research, plans, coordinates and manages the design that the user wants and creates a design that the users want.
What is the need for interior design?
- It gives aesthesis value
- Makes the place peaceful and attractive
- Good looking places gives you a comfortable feeling
- It adds to the wow factor of any place
- Increases the value of the place in terms of money
Basic principles of interior design
- The design needs to be proportionate and appropriate. Proportion is one more the major principle of design. If the design does not have a proportion then it makes it of no use. Proportion allows the shapes to be used according to basic rules as to where they get fixed. They determine the shape and size of any element about others, how they are arranged in design and at what place they are put so that they look proportionate.
- It is necessary to have a basic hierarchy in any design. The important portion should be presented in such a way that they catch the attention of the viewer. It can be presented in such a way that the title looks as most important, then the subheading then after the bullets; if you are designing a page. Similar you need to have a perfect hierarchy pattern that should be followed in any design that you construct.
- The design needs to have contrasts in it. It means that the adjacent elements in any design should be placed in such a way that they complement each other and makes the design more accessible. Without the use of contrast the design may look dull and boring.
- The design needs to have emphasis. By emphasis, it means that the most necessary part of the design should be emphasised. The viewer should get to know about the design at the moment they have a look at it. They reduce the impact of some information on a design that is not important.
- When the word rhythm comes we generally think of poem or some song. But design has also to do with it. The design needs to have a rhythmic balance of space in it as we have in song and poems. There are some basic kinds of visual rhythmic pattern that the designers need to follow. They are regular rhythm, flowing rhythm, random rhythm, alternate rhythm, and progressive rhythm.
- The design must follow a particular pattern. The pattern is created by the regular repetition of any designing element. We see the use of patterns in wallpapers design, ceiling design, etc. It can also refer to the process of arrangement of various elements in a design.
- Another important principle of interior design or any design for total matter is repetition. It gives the design a sense of unity and combines all the material into one to give a sense of completion. If can in many forms like the colours being repeated, the shapes being repeated, the pattern is repeated, etc.
- The design that any designer makes should have a proper flow moment in it. Movement is essential in interior designing. By the moment it means that one element should lead to another then that element should take you to other elements and so on. This gives a kind of flexibility in design and makes it look better.
- You design cannot afford to look monotonous so it needs to have variety in it, without which the design can have no sense of aesthetics. It will make the users lose the attraction and interest in it. Variety can be given through colours, textures, patterns, topographical elements, images, etc. It is therefore important for any design to have a sense of variation and variety in it. But this should be enforced in any design. It should be done for the sake of creativity that should make the design interesting.
- Any interior design should have a sense of unification. The parts and elements of the design should not look scattered and disorganised. There should be a proper unity in design to makes the design look clear, flawless and cohesive.
Basic elements of design
Designing is based upon the basic elements that determine it. These elements add to the creativity of the designs and make them perfect. Here are some of the basic elements of design discussed below.
- Geometric shapes or even the organic shapes add to design. They make designing more perfect and interesting. A designer must know shapes to create a design that is full of impact. Shapes have definite boundaries of colours and lines that that emphasizes the designed page. Any design is based upon the shapes rather it can be said that all the design is made up of various shapes that give it a form of design.
- The line is the most important element of any design. Any kind of stroke made by either pen or pencil or even colours can be called as a line. They have a major role to play in any of the designing element. A line divides the drawing space that is used for designing and formulates a specific position for everything.
- The texture is used to give dimensions to the design. They can be felt more when they are touched in any practically designed element than on a paper. There are graphics and websites design that requires texture as its most important element that makes then look more immersive and real.
- Space is another important element of design. The aesthetics of design depends largely upon the usage of designing space. The left spaces or the blank spaces may be misunderstood as negative space because they are unused spaces that make the design empty and unfinished. These negative spaces should be utilised by some spaces and colours that can supplement the design to look better and attractive.
- Any design would need to have a beautiful, attractive and colourful impact on the viewers. For this colour have an important role to play in the designing. Colours are important both for the design and the designer. They determine the style and mood of any design. They determine the brand and value of any design. Every colour should have to be chosen with caution. A designer must take care of the combinations, impression, and impact of every colour that they use.
- Anything that is designed as a perfect measure of scale and size. They are the key elements of any design that determines the shape, size, type and look of any design. They add to the beauty of any designed element.
- The topography is also an important element of design that has a major part to play in graphic design. Similar to colour, shape, texture, and font, the topography is also the key element for any graphic design that shapes it and makes it more organised and beautiful.
- The design needs to be balanced. It needs to have a proper symmetry that makes it looks good and of course balances it in every possible way. Balance is a need in colour, texture, form, lines, etc. Therefore it is an important element of design.
Some tips for good interior design
You can follow some basic tips to design and decorate your house, office, cafes, restaurants, etc. Here are some small tips that anyone can follow for interior designing.
- You can mix and match the old and new items to give a new texture. You can fuse the old furniture with new wall colours to make a good contrasting look of old made new. This also gives some vintage look with fresh colours. This way you can experiment with many such things and the older things will come in use. This will save money as well as give a different look.
- You should always take care of the colours while designing. A small room should be avoided to be painted in dark colours. It makes the room dark and dull. Small spaces should be painted in soft colours to make them look bright and filled with light. It also makes the room look larger.
- To give a lightening effect you can use mirrors to decorate. Using mirrors can give a good impact on the lightening effect in any room. It also makes the place looks more spacious and glowing. Empty walls of the drawing-room can be decorated by mirrors. This will serve two purposes, by making the unused space used and another by making the walls look pretty.
- You should always take care of spaces while designing. The small spaces should never be avoided or left vacant. You can use them to create some kind of storage place by using baskets and other such stuff. This would look good as well as the spaces will also be occupied with some useful materials. Along with this, it has another benefit that it can store the small stuff of the house.
- You need to take care of the contrasting elements while designing. Dark items should be combined with light colours so that the beauty of both the parts is visible and the design doesn’t look boring and monotonous. The colors need to be selected according to the availability of space, texture and as per the requirements of the design.
The designers should create a design that emphasizes the minds and hearts of the users. It should create a long-lasting effect on the viewers. They should be attracted to the designs on such a way that they want to use the designs made by the designers in any way. The designers need to have appropriate knowledge of the basic elements and principles of design. They should know the proper usage of the principles and elements of designing to create a good and attractive interior design.
A good design is created by the practice and intuition of a designer. Along with all this knowledge, the experience plays a very important role in designing. For an experienced designer, designing becomes their second nature. It gets inbuilt in them and that is what makes them a good designer. So for having a good interior design, all these elements should properly be taken care of.